Holland Baroque and Bastarda presents „Minne”- newly composed, arranged and also partly improvised program inspired by the love poetry of medieval mystic Hadewijch from Brabant.
Hadewijch was a 13th-century beguine who wrote an impressive oeuvre of love poetry, providing an original, female perspective on medieval life. For this project, Holland Baroque works together with Bastarda Trio, a polish contemporary music group combining the unique sonorities of clarinet, cello and contrabass clarinet. Inspired by medieval poetry, the result is a playful, passionate, truly vibrant album.
Holland Baroque is an original and innovative baroque orchestra that approaches baroque repertoire through a fresh and contemporary approach, with a focus on improvisation and collaborations with outstanding artists from different traditions.
Released physically as a Hybrid SACD.
More on www.pentatonemusic.com/product/minne/
Paweł Szamburski / clarinet
Michał Górczyński / contrabass clarinet
Tomasz Pokrzywiński / cello
Violins // Judith Steenbrink, Katarina Aleksić, Giorgos Samoillis, Chloe Prendergast, Andrej Kapor, Emma Williams, Anna Jane Lester, Joseph Tan,
Organ, accordeon, harp and harmonium // Tineke Steenbrink
Voice // Marie van Luijk
1. Gaude (after Gaudeamus omnes in die festo Agathae) / Bastarda Trio
2. Introduction (inspired by Hadewijch, 13th century) / Judith Steenbrink
3. Orewoet (inspired by Hadewijch) / Judith Steenbrink 4 Nigra sum (after Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, 1525-1594) / Bastarda Trio
5. Spiritus sanctus (after Hildegard von Bingen, 1098-1179) / Heinrich Isaac (ca. 1450-1517)
6. Te laudant (arr. Judith Steenbrink) / Gregorian Chant
7. Media vita (arr. Judith Steenbrink) / Melchior Franck (ca. 1579-1639)
8. Er küsse mich (arr. Judith Steenbrink) / Judith Steenbrink
9. Minne (inspired by Hadewijch) / Judith Steenbrink, Bastarda Trio.
Executive producers Judith Steenbrink, Tineke Steenbrink (Holland Baroque) & Kate Rockett (PENTATONE)
Recording producer & editor Carl Schuurbiers
Recording engineer Jean-Marie Geijsen (Polyhymnia International B.V.)
Liner notes Judith & Tineke Steenbrink | English translation Simone Lensink & Chloe Prendergast Cover design Lucia Ghielmi | Photography Wouter Jansen
Product management & Design Kasper van Kooten
Managing director Holland Baroque Luuk van Geffen | Producer Holland Baroque Clara van Meyel
This album was recorded in the big hall of TivoliVredenburg, Utrecht, from 11 to 13 January 2022. Made possible by a contribution from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.